Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Another section for our Happy Scrappy Orphan Block quilt

It is hard to believe it is the end of August already, summer has flown by, has been an unusual cooler summer here in Michigan.

We had such a great time at the AQS quilt show last week, came home very inspired with many more projects I would like to work on .

I am posting the next section for our happy scrappy orphan block quilt , your quilt right now should measure 32.5 x 56.5".  It seems like my orphan blocks box  keeps growing with every project that I do.  I am hoping that when I'm done with this quilt the box also is empty

 



Today we are going to add a unit to the side, the unit that you are going to be adding should measure 12 1/2 inches  by 56 1/2 inches .   I used a variety of squares and sizes of the blocks to make my unit, if I had to cut off part of a block  to get it to measure the right size,  I did that.  I have to laugh, one of the blocks in  this section  is made out of the first  Debbie Mumm fabric,  that definitely  was a while ago.
 
The section that I'm adding again is very scrappy, blocks from 1930s reproduction through Civil War reproductions .
 





It was really hard to stop with only adding one side , your quilt should now measure 44.5" x 56.5" . For those of you that love working ahead, we soon will be adding another side unit that measures  12.5" x 56.5"  to the other side  to make our quilt 56 1/2 in.² .

 
Any questions at all, just ask. I'll be more than happy to help you. Ryquilter1@msn.com
 
 Happy Stitching,
Rosemary


7 comments:

  1. I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing what you come up with using your orphan blocks. All seems to go together now matter what you use or how yu do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo - I'm so looking forward to getting out my orphan block box again and working on this. It's the only BOM that I"m caught up with - wonder why - LOL. Love your addition. It may take me a while to do mine as I don't have that many small blocks and I'd like to use some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! Amazing how you can put such a pretty quilt together with orphan blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the remainder of the quilt will we just use the finished sizes for each section and fill it in with blocks of our choice (size)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!! I'll be working on this tomorrow!! Fun! I may work ahead and do the other side too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the great tutorial. I'm using it to make my first quilt out of scrap fabric. I have a picture here: http://beeoriginals.blogspot.com/2014/09/progress.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt! The bright and dark border is super. I love this quilt :)

    ReplyDelete