Monday, May 12, 2014

The beginning, the center block

 Good afternoon,

And off we go, we are starting with the center which is a 12 inch block. I am going to provide you a pattern for a 12 inch block, if you go through your orphan blocks and you find a 12 inch block that you would rather use, pull that out of your orphan blocks and your block is already finished..


I thought this basket type block would make a great center. I am going to do my squares in an assortment of backgrounds, mostly shirtings. Here is an example of the block made with just shirting fabrics and one made with a solid background fabric.



Cutting Instructions for Center Block

Template A
Cut 2   2 1/2 squares of 4 different fabrics

Template B
Cut 4   2 7/8 squares of background fabric
Cut each square in half diagonally to make two triangles for a total of eight triangles.
Cut 2   2 7/8 squares of four different fabrics
Cut each square in half diagonally to make 2 triangles for a total of 4 triangles of each color.

Template C
Cut 4  2 1/2 by 4 1/2 rectangles of your background fabric

Template D
Cut 1   5 1/4 square of your background fabric diagonally twice to yield 4 triangles.

Template E
Cut  1  4 1/2 square

If you click here, you will be directed to the website that has the block pattern, the actual size of templates and the foundations that are needed to put the block together.
The cutting instructions are also posted there if you would like to print them.

http://rosemaryyoungs.com/Center/

***
 A very important note, when you go to print off the block pattern or the foundations, they appear at 50%, you need to print them at 200%.  The templates are the correct size. 

 
 
 
 



I chose to foundation pieced my block together, the block went together very easy using the five foundation piecing sections.  If you have any questions, please let me know, I want to present it as easy as possible so even a new quilter could even work on the blocks .

There also has been a Flickr page set up that you can post pictures of your blocks as you work on the quilt.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2659397@N23/pool/


Happy Stitching,
Rosemary

5 comments:

  1. Are the cutting size including the seam allowance ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosemary...I just joined your Flickr group and added my 12" block!! This is going to be fun! I have a ton and a half of orphan blocks!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be doing something wrong with the printing of this pattern. I clicked on 200% but when I measure my copy it is just 6" finished size. How can I print a 12" PP'd block if my computer paper is 8 1/2 x 11"? Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, lost that comment. Hum, oh well. Love this BOM and I am going to do mine in Batiks. Hope to catch up soon......

    ReplyDelete